Thursday, March 25, 2010

broken heart.




















the heart breaks and breaks
and lives by breaking.
It is necessary to go
through dark and deeper dark
and not to turn.

-from "The Testing Tree"
by Stanley Kunitz

I was at May Day yesterday and I decided to do some drawing. I found this begonia so strange and beautiful; I didn't know they bloomed like that, all tall pink translucence. The leaves, too were amazing, thick blood red and delicately veined. They looked like organs, particularly like the heart, which is what I'm thinking of these days.

These two plants were weirdly entwined–I tried to move the begonia onto the table to see it better, but it was somehow entangled in the calla next to it. At first I thought it had actually rooted itself in the next pot, the way it was draped, but now I'm not sure. There was a dead calla lily tangled between them, which might have been holding them together. Too complicated to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment